Monday, August 16, 2010

New York City: Scenes From Soho

I love the look and feel of Soho. After being enveloped in skyscrapers, it feels so low-slung and cozy. The funky neighborhood vibe, incredible shops, and original restaurants, makes this one of my favorite places.



This was a hair salon decked out in antiques and oddities. I just peered in through the window because there was someone getting her hair done and I felt a little funny just walking into the tiny space. Needless to say, if I lived in New York, this is where I would have to get my hair done!



Baguette shop.
And the amazing Evolution. The pictures speak for themselves!



Many of the skulls and bones at Evolution were very well done resin replicas, but some were REAL. They had a special license from the New York Department of Health to sell them and you had to have a medical license or other such affiliation to purchase one. Obviously, the authorities would want to know where your real human skull came from if you were ever asked!!!

And needless to say, they were thousands of dollars each.



These real jeweled skulls were fascinating to say the least.

And they had lots and lots of taxidermy. Sharon, are you seeing this?!






We had brunch at a fun little place on Spring Street called "Bloom" which amazingly, I had eaten at with friends back in 2006. I didn't remember until I saw this atrium!!!

There is so much artistic inspiration to be found in the styling in NY. Can you imagine!! Garden hose??!! I was FLOORED!





And this was our view out to the street. How fun to people watch in Soho. I have never seen so many gorgeous people of all shapes, sizes, and colors in my entire life.

This was a clothing shop in the Village. The styling with old oils and books was right up my alley.


And if you ever get to the Village, check out Strand book store where there are "18 miles of books". We could have stayed in there for hours . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment